We've talked about reasons why your company needs to be business/social media active.
What follows are some stats from http://blog.hubspot.com/, a marketing blog. Put down your coffee, because if you don't, you're likely to spill it on yourself. Get into the swim, or go down the drain.
- 78% of Internet users conduct product research online. That means your website stands a good chance of being a prospect's "first impression." That also means your new business card isn't a business card—it's Google.
- In the past year, Web-based email usage dropped a staggering 59% among young people who prefer to communicate via text, instant messaging, and social networks. Web-based email usage has been on the decline among ALL Internet users under the age of 55. And by the way, today's kids are tomorrow's customers—and they're probably not going to be reading your email.
- 78% of business people use their mobile device to check email. So that means pretty much everybody that can check email on a mobile device, does. Is your email newsletter optimized for mobile devices?
- 91% of email users have unsubscribed from a company email they previously opted-in to. We're getting savvier with technology and less patient with unwanted solicitations. And it's just so easy to hit 'delete'.
- 57% of businesses have acquired a customer through their company blog. Blogging is good. Intrusive ads are bad.
- 41% of business-to-business companies and 67% of business-to-consumer companies have acquired a customer through Facebook. If this stat doesn't poke a hole in the "Facebook is not useful for B2B companies" myth, I don't know what will.