Monday, February 28, 2011

Are You Generating Business by being Paperless?

There was a time, in a galaxy far, far away....when people predicted the end of paper.  It would all be paperless offices.  Paperless this.  Paperless that.  Now, nearly forty years later, are we finally approaching this utopia?  And what's driving it to happen?
Case history.   Here I am, happily blogging away on my spanking new MacBook Pro with the special order 7200 RPM drive and etc., when what to my wondering eyes does appear - but a tweet and an email that brings me no cheer.
Yep.
You guessed it.
My spanking new toy, less than a month old...is outdated.  The new and improved MacBook Pro with the i-7 processor is out.
And here's where we talk about social media.
I was notified in a tweet.  I was notified in an email.  Both from those very generous folks at Apple.  Who, not missing an opportunity for a sale, let me know I could return my present machine (sans the software I purchased and already loaded) for a credit, and get the new toy.  After all is said and done, changing out machines will cost me about $160.  And I get the same machine, but with the i-7 processor.  Of course, I still have to ship the old one back and deal with that issue, but again the nice folks at Apple make it easy by preprinting my FedEx label and letting me know (again, via tweet and email) that I can print it out.
So.
A couple of tweets and emails, which cost Apple nothing.
I get a new computer, for which I pay Apple an additional $160.
And goodwill (except for the fact that if I get the new machine and they issue an update a week later) is generated all around.
All without paper.
All through social media/business connections.
Are you generating business by being paperless yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment